Join Our Team
Over the Road Truck Driver (OTR)
Date of Opening
July 23, 2021
Starting wages vary based on experience
Responsible for driving a tractor-trailer combination or a truck with a capacity of at least 26,001 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). Secure cargo to prevent damages during transportation, maintain detailed records of the number of hours traveled, mileage covered, and rest periods, as well as assist in the loading and unloading of cargo.
Essential Job Functions
This position is responsible for all of the following:
- Compliant with all DOT rules and regulations ensuring that equipment meets DOT standards
- Operating a tractor trailer with standard and automatic transmissions (including 10 speed)
- Good communication with customers, sales team and supervisors
- Push/pull 1200 pound pallets with manual jack or electric jack
- Safely transporting freight between various locations over long distances
- Performing truck inspections before and after each trip to ensure that all mechanical systems are in good working order
- Carefully planning routes to ensure that deliveries are completed in a timely manner
- Maintaining the company truck, which includes keeping it clean, reporting any issues, checking all fluids, monitoring tire pressure, and performing minor repairs as needed
- Maintaining an electronic logbook detailing the hours traveled, rest periods, miles covered, as well as all fuel, and repair
- Promptly reporting any traffic violations, road accidents, and vehicle breakdowns to management
- Notifying the dispatcher and customer of any delay that may affect scheduled delivery times
- Assisting in the loading and unloading of freight into and off the company truck
- Performs other related duties as requested
- Following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) on the safe handling and proper use of machines and tools used for the operations
- Adherence to Good Agricultural Practices (GAP’s) for food processing
- Adherence to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) for food processing
- Accurate completion of daily logs and reports according to the SOP
- Regular contact with all levels of personnel throughout the organization
- Follow all safety policies and procedures
- Other tasks assigned by manager
- Professionalism, flexibility and creativity
- Ability to learn and work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize workflow
- Regular and reliable attendance
- High School Diploma or equivalent (preferred)
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and a clean driving record
- Proven experience working as an OTR driver or truck driver
- Proven abilities to work independently and productively with limited supervision and collaboratively as part of a team
- 1 to 3 years of experience as of OTR driver (preferred)
- Sound knowledge of road safety regulations
- The ability to use road maps and GPS devices
- The ability to work long hours
- Strong organizational and time management skills
To successfully perform the job’s essential functions, the employee must be an articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possess excellent communication skills. The ability to professionally and comfortably interact with all personnel levels, including management, supervisory, etc., is vital. The employee will work closely with personnel in their department to ensure work and problem resolution accuracy.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors with exposure to various weather conditions. May be required to utilize safety equipment and clothing to avoid exposure to chemicals, moving equipment, noise, and temperature extremes. Hard hats and other required personal protective equipment must be utilized in designated locations. Position involves frequent bending, standing, kneeling, climbing ladders, reaching below and above shoulders, and lifting objects weighing up to 50 lbs. utilizing proper lifting techniques. Wrist, hand, and finger dexterity is required to operate various equipment and materials. Accommodations may be extended to individuals with disabilities if such accommodations are determined to be reasonable and necessary to permit the performance of the essential functions of this position.
Working hours are determined by facility management to meet the needs of the business. These may include weekends and holidays.
Appropriate dress and hygiene are essential in promoting a positive J-M Farms image to our customers, both internally and externally. As a result, J-M Farms typically allows a “business casual” dress code, provided that employees are well-groomed, neat, and are dressed appropriately for their job functions. Due to the nature of some positions, jeans and tasteful shirts are allowed. Some work areas have frigid temperatures. Therefore, shirts and hoodies to keep warm are strongly encouraged. Uniforms are available to all employees at their cost payroll deducted. However, due to the Tunnels’ duties, uniforms are available at no cost to employees working in the Tunnels. Hairnets, beard nets are required in all harvesting areas at all times. Hairnets, beard nets, lab coats are required in packaging areas at all times. Personal hygiene is strongly encouraged.
The above descriptions are not intended to be all-inclusive lists; rather they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. In addition, it is not intended to be construed as a contract of employment; the employment relationship can be terminated by the employer or the employee, with or without notice, at anytime.