Join Our Team
Production Laborer III
Date of Opening
July 23, 2021
Starting wages up to $15 per hour with forklift and heavy machinery experience
Responsible for working as part of the supporting team for the Wharf, Inside and Outside line operations & Tunnels with no supervision and will play an important role in the day to day operations at the growing facility. Production Laborer III will be able to know the process and procedures and be assigned to work and support one or more of these areas accordantly.
Essential Job Functions
This position is responsible for all of the following:
- Wharf- performs duties outside in the composting area of the mushroom growing facility at JM Farms.
- Inside Line Operations- performs duties as required to work inside the mushroom growing facility at JM Farms.
- Outside Line Operations- performs duties as required to work outdoors for the mushroom growing facility at JM Farms.
- Tunnels – Performs Filling and Spawning Operations. Lifting spawn and supplement sacks for grinding and dumping, moving compost racks, laying and folding net, preparing the net to be pulled, as well as occasional forklift usage
- Sweeping and shoveling compost
- Washing down of equipment and conveyor belts
- Performing basic equipment checks and maintenance as needed
- Operating turners, front-end loaders and other large machines
- Applying supplements and raw materials to crops
- Monitoring the performance of machines
- Operate and maintain farm machinery and equipment and clean up the work area when the work is accomplished
- Moving bins and trays with a forklift
- Monitoring the application of ingredients and casing materials
- Work independently and productively with no supervision and collaboratively as part of a team
- Identifies and transports the product to and from various locations, including loading docks, trucks, storage, and work areas
- Obtains production schedule and shipping orders to identify, verify, and transport requested raw materials, equipment, or processing workflow accordingly
- Applies understanding of machine loading capacity and loading schedule, ensuring prompt and efficient delivery of required items
- Reports any problems with equipment and product to supervisor
- Services equipment as needed, reporting mechanical or electrical difficulties to Maintenance
- Maintains records about products and supplies being moved
- Communicates with Supervisor and/or Manager quantities and products being moved
- Performs other related duties as requested
- Following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) on the safe handling and proper use of machines and tools used for the operations
- Adherence to Good Agricultural Practices (GAP’s) for food processing
- Adherence to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) for food processing
- Accurate completion of daily logs and reports according to the SOP
- Regular contact with all levels of personnel throughout the organization
- Follow all safety policies and procedures
- Other tasks assigned by manager
- Professionalism, flexibility and creativity
- Ability to learn and work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize workflow
- Regular and reliable attendance
- High School Diploma or equivalent (preferred)
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- 5 plus years of experience operating Loader & Forklift
To successfully perform the job’s essential functions, the employee must be an articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possess excellent communication skills. The ability to professionally and comfortably interact with all personnel levels, including management, supervisory, etc., is vital. The employee will work closely with personnel in their department to ensure work and problem resolution accuracy.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors with exposure to various weather conditions. May be required to utilize safety equipment and clothing to avoid exposure to chemicals, moving equipment, noise, and temperature extremes. Hard hats and other required personal protective equipment must be utilized in designated locations. Position involves frequent bending, standing, kneeling, climbing ladders, reaching below and above shoulders, and lifting objects weighing up to 50 lbs. utilizing proper lifting techniques. Wrist, hand, and finger dexterity is required to operate various equipment and materials. Accommodations may be extended to individuals with disabilities if such accommodations are determined to be reasonable and necessary to permit the performance of the essential functions of this position.
Working hours are determined by facility management to meet the needs of the business. These may include weekends and holidays.
Appropriate dress and hygiene are essential in promoting a positive J-M Farms image to our customers, both internally and externally. As a result, J-M Farms typically allows a “business casual” dress code, provided that employees are well-groomed, neat, and are dressed appropriately for their job functions. Due to the nature of some positions, jeans and tasteful shirts are allowed. Some work areas have frigid temperatures. Therefore, shirts and hoodies to keep warm are strongly encouraged. Uniforms are available to all employees at their cost payroll deducted. However, due to the Tunnels’ duties, uniforms are available at no cost to employees working in the Tunnels. Hairnets, beard nets are required in all harvesting areas at all times. Hairnets, beard nets, lab coats are required in packaging areas at all times. Personal hygiene is strongly encouraged.
The above descriptions are not intended to be all-inclusive lists; rather they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. In addition, it is not intended to be construed as a contract of employment; the employment relationship can be terminated by the employer or the employee, with or without notice, at anytime.